Saturday, April 2, 2011

I used to be fat, but I got better.



I'd love to say that I decided to lose weight to improve my health or to have more energy for my children. That would be a lie. After the birth of my daughter, there was an unfortunate incident with my naked, flabby body and a full length mirror. After seeing the damage that 2 children and gravity had inflicted upon me, I decided I would NOT look like this for the rest of my life. I wanted to be a MILF (google it)! Yes, I'm vain. I fully accept and admit it.

To say that I love to exercise would also be a lie. I hate every second of it. However, to be MILF approved, you must include it on a very regular basis. It has the added benefit of being a very effective anti-depressant. Oh, and all those "healthy" benefits too. Here are a few tips that I have learned in my decade of being an exercise addict:

1) You must do something you at least somewhat enjoy.
If you despise running like I do, ride a bike. If you want to bring a sub-machine gun to step aerobics, try Zumba. There are a million and one ways to get in a good sweat. Pick one that works for you. Much like a 3 yr old in church, I get bored easily so I like to mix it up.

2) Don't wimp out.
Some days you are not going to feel like working out. Some days you'll go to the gym and give yourself a pat on the back just for getting out of bed. These things happen. Don't let them happen too often or too many times in a row. If you're not pushing yourself, you won't improve. Age is not your friend and you'll have to work even harder the older you get. Be honest with your intensity and make sure you're sweating.

3) Skinny is fine. Toned is better.
Sure, to see that number on the scale dropping is a huge motivator. However, I see a lot of women who are "fat skinny". They are small, but saggy, sort of like a raisen. They are thrilled to tell you that they are 110 lbs and a size 2. However, I think we'd all rather see a toned size 6 or 8 in a bikini. Curves are sexy...ask any heterosexual male out there. Incorporate some form of strength training once or twice a week. You don't need heavy weights. Yoga is a good way to tone. I'm fond of The Firm series. I've got several I do that are so old they are VHS. They combine aerobics with 3, 5, 8 and 10lb hand weights. They are effective and available at your local WalMart.

4) Don't buy into the lies.
This mostly refers to diet pills and funky machines they sell on late night television. They don't work, period. They may give you a temporary weight loss, but you'll gain it back (don't even get me started on HCG). It took you time to put on the weight and it will take time to remove it. If it doesn't make you sweat, it will not work. They are preying on your lousy self image and when you give them money, you're enabling the behavior. You're better than that.

5) Reward yourself.
Make little attainable goals each month. When you reach those goals give yourself a little treat. Try not to make it food related. A new hair color, nails, a massage, jewelry, lotions, or a new book are all great little gifts for a job well done.

6) Measure and record your progress.
The first time you measure and weigh yourself you may cry. I did. But 4 weeks from now you'll see the results in inches or lbs and you'll be glad you did. Photos of yourself in swim wear that make you cringe are also good motivators to stay on track.

7) Support
I'm not one who likes to count on another person. However, because we are social and competitive creatures, it may be good for you to have a work out buddy. It will make you push yourself and make you accountable to someone else.

Don't wait to start. Just start doing something...anything right now. There is one sexy woman hiding under that chub. Trust me! Your new self will thank you later.

Cancun 2010


2 comments:

  1. haha so this is awesome, way togo you look great, great advice,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. The extreme, gimmicky diets are not sustainable in the long term. People HAVE to learn moderation or they will continue to yo-yo. I'm working on it again and feel like I've gotten a groove back again. I won't be a MILF, but maybe a DILF? FILF? PILF? Are those words?

    ReplyDelete